Friday, August 6, 2010

A New Day with No Cheese

I am considering becoming a vegan because I discovered this year that I have some degree of lactose intolerance. Last night I was at my friend Lina's house and I brought over some organic red beets, green beans, goat cheese, basil, and dressing for dinner. We also had boiled potatoes (no, she's not Irish, but Russian, yes) and I of course wanted to add more cheese to my potatoes....making it rudimentary mashed potatoes. I also included tofu cream cheese for good measure. Then my dearest friend enticed me to Trader Joe's Chocolate Ice Cream Bon Bons. How could I resist anything with that unmistakable label? Not possible with this chica....anyways I had more than my fair share (so I thought) and then we crashed on the couch to discuss our desires for future nursing career goals and where to take an artsy photography class. You know, not the boring class that only teaches you the basics, but one that also lets you explore the world through a fish-eye lens and how to capture that ethereal golden light that illuminates the subject. So back to the cheese of the matter, this morning I woke up to the rumble-tumble of my intestines. Oh for the love of Dairy! Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier de lest, Brest Bleu, Bruson....Camenbert, perhaps? It's a bit runny sir....
My dear father played the part of John Cleese in Monty Python's "The Cheese Shop" for a church talent show once upon a time and when he took us to and from school he would play the recording over and over in his Jaguar S-type (he absolutely loathed that British make-of-a-car) therefore I too memorized his part, although I must admit I did not know how to spell half of those Parisian cheeses mentioned.
But brie has always been my favoritest cheese. Alas...I must give this up too if I go on a dairy strike. Oh cruel irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment