Friday, April 22, 2011

Inspiration

In celebration of Earth Day, a gift from our Creator.

Even though explorers unveiled the far corners of this earth many years ago, we still have much to discover for ourselves. Yet society built up civilization to the point of encapsulating ourselves from being out in nature! Therefore we are spending less and less time out in God's green earth. I am saddened that the closest some people come to the great outdoors is watching Planet Earth!
For starters, we could all benefit to get outside once a day and exercise wether it be a quick jog or a stroll through the park. OR plant a garden! I just started a square foot garden this month as the rainy season came to a close.
With all this northern california rain, last week I felt compelled to soak in the remnants of the late afternoon sun. Even though my kitchen sink was piled with dishes, I felt it necessary to get outside and feel the warming natural rays. Thus I ventured outside our manicured property and strolled down the paved road. All I could hear were the sounds of nature in harmony with the golden afternoon which was mostly unadulterated with the extraneous city noises. With my long skirt on I wishfully longed to hear one of Dario Marianelli's piano obbligatos from Pride & Prejudice. It reminded me of a quote that read, "the trouble with life is there's no background music". Yet being a musician, I suppose I could make my own music and then there'd be no trouble at all.
A few yards down I came across a middle-aged gentleman sitting outside the gate of a neighbor's vineyard. He was concentrating on a very small notepad. After striking up a conversation, I asked him if he was writing poetry. He responded that he was indeed creating a poem for his newborn granddaughter after finding inspiration from all the wildflowers. I wished him God's blessing and walked away reflecting on how easy it is for us to find inspiration from the things we see around us. I truly believe God created much of earth's beauty for our enjoyment and pleasure.
"God is love," is written upon every opening bud, every spire of springing grass...the delicately tinted flowers....the lofty tress of the forest-all testify to the tender, fatherly care of our God, and to His desire to make His children happy (SC p.10). Think about it...the first home he gave to man and wife was a garden! Through each blossom, each mountain peak, God is drawing us in. He's calling us to worship Him and rest in Him not only on Earth Day, 1 day a week (His holy sabbath day), but everyday! What better way to spend time with our Creator than to spend time in his creation? Just like the stranger by the gate, God's creation certainly has inspired an ample quantity of paintings, literature, and music. Many notable artists who respected and submitted to God, let Him plant the seed of inspiration that sparked their creative drive. If only we would turn back to the true source of nature, the giver of life, and acknowledge Him not only as King of the universe, but Lord of our hearts, and keep his law in our hearts. Ps 119: 11,34. He already has done so much for us. What can we give Him in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment